- A subluxation is a partial dislocation or misalignment of one or more joints in the spine. Subluxations may cause abnormal wear and tear on joints, abnormal musculature, decreased range of motion, inhibited nerve function, and pain.
Vertebral = spinal bones
Sub = less than
Luxation = dislocation
2. Vertebral subluxations take place when the spine is shifted away from its normal healthy position, losing its ability to perform correctly. That movement, or blockage, puts stress on the nervous system and can cause an interruption of vital nerve messages that run your entire body.
3. Due to this interruption in nerve messages, the compromised nervous system results in lowered immunity, allowing many of the everyday health problems to overcome the body’s ability to naturally defend itself, recover and heal. Therefore, subluxation impedes the body's natural ability to focus think, organize and heal.
4. Subluxations can be caused by trauma to the body from accidents, injuries, falling down, or athletics. But they also may be caused by incorrect posture over time, acute stress, and other physical, mental, emotional and environmental factors. No matter what the cause, subluxations leave your body in a weakened state and far more susceptible.
5. Common symptoms or health issues that manifest as a result of subluxations include:
Hip and shoulder pains
Chronic stress or fatigue
Sciatica, disc and low back problems.
6. Why is it so important for the nervous system to function optimally? The central nervous system is comprised of the brain and spinal cord that carry nerve signals to every cell, organ, system and muscle of the body. (In fact, your nerve signals can travel from the tip of your toe to the top of your head in less than 20 milliseconds at a speed of more than 120 meters/second!)
All of these nerve impulses travel through your spine, so subluxations distort the flow of these nerve communications. Once nerve flow is compromised, a host of health problems may occur, often without the person understanding the root cause of their symptoms. Therefore, keeping free of vertebral subluxations is essential for proper health.
7. When a part of your body doesn’t correctly receive signals through the nervous system, the cells in that area become unhealthy. Without those life-giving commands, there could be serious and even permanent health consequences. For instance, vertebral subluxation can lead to permanent damage, such as osteoarthritis, in as little as two weeks!
8. While injuries, trauma and physical stress may cause a lot of subluxations, in fact most subluxations are caused by the birth process! The average hospital birth involves about 90-120 lbs. of pull on the infant’s neck, causing trauma to both the brain stem and spinal cord that can result in vertebral subluxations later on.
9. How important is it to remove subluxations and allow your nervous system to function correctly? Even subluxations that exert pressure on the nerves equivalent to the weight of a nickel can reduce nerve impulses by up to 60%! Research shows that a spine with optimum alignment is up to 16 times stronger than a subluxated spine!
10. Chiropractors are the only health professionals trained to detect subluxations, and only chiropractors can reduce the effect of subluxations naturally and safely, restoring the function of the central nervous system that allows the body to balance and heal itself.