While we can't grant you the wish of a 25th hour in each day, we can try to save you a little time each day, in this case with these way-too-fun computer hacks and shortcuts.
In fact, studies show that just using keyboard shortcuts can save you up to eight work days per year!
But more than just the time these can save you, it’s darn fun to know cool things that others don’t!
So enjoy these seven way-too-fun computer hacks and shortcuts, and we promise you that we'll have many more coming soon!
1. To enhance your security against hackers and cyber fraud, make sure your passwords all contain numbers (1,2,3…), uppercase and lowercase letters (CHiro), and at least one special character (!#@).
You can even check your password strength at free sites like:
2. For added security, you can enable Two-Factor Authentication for the Facebook app on your smartphone or mobile device.
It will work both for your personal and chiropractic practice/professional account, and require you to enter a code each time you login to Facebook, which shuts out hackers unless they have physical possession of your mobile device.
Login to your Facebook and then> Account Security >Security >Activate Code Generator (in iPhone or Android)
3. If your email keeps filling up too quickly, your computer is almost out of memory, or your web page is slow to load, it could be because you’re using the wrong image files.
Here’s a little cheat sheet to help you:
“Joint Photographic Experts Group”
Best used for:
Shading of light and dark
Compatible across most platforms (Mac and PC) and programs
Can reduce file size because JPEGs can be compressed up to 5x without losing quality.
“Graphics Interchange Format”
Best used for:
Web graphics with few colors
“Portable Network Graphics”
Best used for:
Logos with transparency or no background
Complex images being edited or when file size is not an issue
4. Is your computer displaying that your printer is out of ink when you try to print something? Chances are, you actually still have plenty of ink left, but the sensors just pick up a shortage, and you can still get scores or even hundreds of documents out of it.
Instead of tossing your ink cartridge immediately when you get a No Ink display, simple remove the cartridge, unfold a paper clip, and press the reset button on the cartridge using the point of the clip.
Put it back in the printer and viola! More ink!
5. Great keyboard shortcuts to save time!
Ctrl + t
Opens a new tab in your browser
Windows Logo + L
Locks the screen instantly
Ctrl + backspace
Deletes the whole word
Control + Enter
Instead of typing “www.” and then “.com” every time you want to enter a website address, just hit Control + Enter and it will add those automatically
Option + Shift + F11 or F12
Minuscule volume adjustments
Option + Delete
Delete Entire Words
Control + Option + Command + Eject
Fast Shut Down
Command + Up + L
Pulls up address bar for easy access
6. There are an insane amount of “hacks” to help you use Google better.
Use an AND command to search for content that contains both things
Example: chiropractic AND U.S. studies
Exact match phrases by putting search queries in quotes.
Example: “Chiropractic is safe and effective”
Search related sites with related:
Search for a phone number!
Example: phonebook:Dr. Charles Ward
Search for phrases in blog post titles.
Example: inblogtitle:back pain
7. Oh no! Did you accidentally close that Microsoft Word file with the speech you were working on without saving? It's lost for good, and you have to start over, right?
Wrong! (at least for PC users using Windows.)
Search .asd in file explorer under my/this pc and you’ll see the document listed there and ready for recovery! Whew, that was a close call!
(And next time, just enable Auto Save!)