In case your patients need a reminder just how important your job is, share these ten points with them:
1. Back and neck pain are Americans’ leading health problem.
At least 80% of Americans suffer from back pain at some point in their life.
At least 25% of Americans reported lower back pain that lasted at least one day or longer within the last 3 months.
In fact, back pain and symptoms are the most frequent cause of disability for people under the age of 45.
Out of all discharges from our military, 20% are due to low back pain.
Of all chiropractic patients, 35% are receiving care for back pain and about 20% of patients are seeking treatment for neck pain.
Every year, there are at least 7.3 million emergency department visits due to back pain, problems, and injuries, which adds up to about 20,000 ER visits every day!
2. Trying to treat back pain without chiropractic is a costly affair.
Treating back pain costs collectively costs us about $100 billion annually.
Back pain ranks as the third most expensive health condition in the United States, behind only cancer and heart disease.
The U.S. government alone spends $496 million on chiropractic services through Medicare, which is a notable .06% of the entire $77 billion Medicare budget.
Studies show that chiropractic saves an average of 45-55% in total cots compared to treatment by medical doctors or surgery.
3. More people than ever are opting for risky surgeries that might not be necessary.
Every year in the United State, nearly 600,000 Americans go under the knife, opting for surgery to provide relief from back ailments and pain.
In fact, the number of back surgeries has risen by about 50 percent since the 1980s, and complicated surgeries like spinal fusion have increased 80% in the last 15 years.
People are going to the hospital and opting for back surgery in record numbers. Consider:
- Back pain is second only to childbirth for hospitalizations.
- Back pain is the second leading cause for physician visits.
- Back pain is the number one cause of long-term disability.
- Back pain is the most prevalent chronic medical condition.
4. Choosing surgery instead of chiropractic care is a choice that literally puts your life at risk.
Data shows that per 10 million patients:
-There are 200,000 deaths from spinal fusion surgeries.
-There are 68,966 deaths from cervical (neck) surgeries.
-Every year, 60,000 people per 10 million patients die from hospital mistakes.
At the same time, the only 2 patients per 10 million have perished (from strokes) during chiropractic treatment.
5. But chiropractic care helps avoid surgeries.
The rate of back surgeries is about 40% higher in the U.S. than in other developed and Western countries, where they are more likely to use chiropractic as a first option
Patients who choose to treat their back or neck pain with chiropractic first reduce the necessity for surgery by 32%.
The Journal of the American Medical Association data shows that by utilizing chiropractic care:
- Back surgeries could be avoided at a 31% rate
- Hospitalizations could be reduced by 43%
- Total hospital days were reduced by 58%
Look for part 2 of this blog, where we cover the next 5 reasons why chiropractors have one of the most important jobs in America!